*** SHOW NOTES ***
Still….. being recorded in the beautiful home office, Chateau Relaxo.
Depending on your calendar we’re anywhere from day 62 to day 65 of being at home. I live in Florida, and honestly, it’s a mix between Florida man and God’s waiting room, just follow any available news feed.
That being said we are starting to see Florida holding a “soft opening”. Universal Citywalk opened, on a limited basis last Thursday. The limited basis is code for a bunch of rules and restrictions.
- STAGGERED PARKING – This means parking in every other spot, controlled by an attendant. Currently, parking is free, and for all you fancy lads, there’s no valet.
- SAFETY SIGNS / MARKERS – If you’ve never been to CityWalk it’s a bit of a hike from the parking deck to the venue, but rest assured there is no shortage of safety signs along the way. The signs, highlight some of the new rules like mandatory face coverings and social distancing.
- ADDITIONAL SCREENINGS – Standard security screenings remain in place, with the addition of temperature screenings. If you are on the northside of 100.4 you will not be allowed to inside the park and you get to begin the walk of shame back to the parking deck.
- SELECT BUSINESS OPEN – For now, only a few businesses are open in this initial reopening phase from 4 p.m.-10 p.m. The restaurants and shops include Auntie Anne’s Pretzels, Bubba Gump Shrimp Co., Jimmy Buffett’s Margaritaville, Red Oven Pizza Bakery, Voodoo Doughnut, Airbrush, the store inside Hart & Huntington Tattoo Company, the Universal Studios Store and Hollywood Drive-in Golf. The restaurants will have limited seating–reduced to 25 percent capacity. Cashless payment will also be available at all businesses.
- INCREASED CLEANING – Just like at my local Publix, CityWalk, workers can be seen cleaning railings and other surfaces visitors may come in contact with more frequently.
Hand sanitizer dispensers have also been placed throughout CityWalk. Currently, the nightclubs, Blue Man Group, the Universal Cinemark movie theater, and other businesses remain closed. Right now the park and accompanying hotels are closed through at least May 31st.
If you’re suffering from Disney withdrawal, it’s a thing, at least Disney Springs is reopening on May 20th. Which is code for, let’s test the water for a Disney opening. They plan to follow the same plan as Universal CityWalk, restricted hours, masks, social distancing and increased cleanings.
Make no mistake about it this is testing the waters to see whether or not tourists are confident enough to flock back wallets in hand. That being said I tried to make a hotel reservation next weekend at any of the Disney Springs properties and they were still showing closed.
As someone that spent years lifting heavy weights, I was always looking for what they call “Carryover”. Which meant if I did this exercise would increase my deadlift. Well, it’s time to do that with our travel gear.
- Compressions Socks, I’m not a fan, but if you are and you happen to be currently spending hours sitting behind a desk ay home, their usefulness isn’t restricted to air flight only. They just might make a difference in your day, just don’t aim that webcam below your waist during your next zoom meeting.
- Packing Cubes – I’m a fan and they work perfectly for organizing your new work from home bedroom/office. For me, there’s nothing better than having a well-organized work area and those packing cubes can help.
- USB Power Brick – Keep it charged! You’re now on your phone more than ever, and a fully charged brick might breathe life into your dying cellphone as you stroll through your back yard while trying to close the Smother’s deal.
The rule that dictates “You can’t remove anything out of your DOP kit while at home” is still in full effect.
In episode 82, we mentioned the website I Miss the Office, well if you miss LaGuardia, JFK, Denver, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Toronto Pearson, Calgary, Paris Charles de Gaulle, and Seoul you can still hear their voices, or at least Carolyn Hopkins voice, yes, she’ll sound familiar, via Twitter.
I love Vegas, and my annual trip has been rescheduled, however, the McCarran airport offers vending machines selling PPE’s. I love America.
DETROIT PRIEST – HOLY WATER SQUIRT GUN DRIVE-THRU …
Father Tim Pelc, hails from Detroit. About a month ago, he was standing outside his church and blasting his parishioners with holy water through a mini squirt gun — all just to bless their Easter food baskets. It’s tradition … and he kept it alive.
Coworkers On Zoom Trapped In Infinite Loop Of Telling Each Other ‘Oh Sorry, No, Go Ahead’
LOS ANGELES—Coworkers at the advertising firm Horizon Group remained trapped in an infinite loop of telling one another “Oh sorry, no, go ahead,” during a morning Zoom teleconference, sources confirmed Monday. “No, no, my bad, definitely go ahead,” said copywriter Lance Reddick, pausing three hours into the apparently endless cycle of apologizing and encouraging a colleague to continue with what they had been saying, only for another few workers to add to the unbreakable pattern by chiming in, quickly cutting themselves off, and asking forgiveness for speaking over anyone else. “I feel like I interrupted you. Sorry about that—what were you trying to say?” At press time, after a brief silence, all 20 coworkers on the call were shouting over each other in a deafening cacophony.
5-year-old driving car on Utah freeway
A trooper in Weber Co. Utah initiated a traffic stop on what he thought was an impaired driver. Turns out it was this young man, age 5, somehow made his way up onto the freeway in his parents’ car. The boy told the trooper he had taken his parents’ car after getting into an argument with his mother, who told him she would not buy him a Lamborghini. The child told the trooper he had intended to drive to California to buy a luxury vehicle for himself. “He might have been short on the purchase amount, as he only had $3 dollars in his wallet,” the UHP said.
Follow up – Celeb car broker RD Whittington, who owns the luxury brand, Wires Only. flew Adrian and his family out to L.A. just days after the infamous traffic stop, and hooked him up BIG TIME. Adrian got in the driver’s seat of a Ferrari, a Hummer and other fancy rides. His face lit up when he got to rev the Ferrari’s engine … but nothing like when he saw Shaq and Lil Pump show up via FaceTime.
Speaking of road trips which will more than likely be everyone’s next trip….. In car.
- First gas is cheap, damn cheap so take the luxury comfortable sled over the sled with the great fuel economy.
- Guess what else is cheap, car rentals. Rent a car and put the miles on someone else’s ride. Check with your credit card company as many are offering extra points for travel-related purchases and they offer some additional discounts as well.
- Hotels are cleaner than they’ve ever been
- Traffic will be lighter but plan on delays due to road construction.
Ba’Corn Cheese – butter, bacon, jalapeno, canned sweet corn salt, black pepper, garlic, scallions, condensed milk, mayonnaise, and mozzarella cheese. Legit bar food.
Mississippi Pot Roast – Throw carrots and potatoes in a crockpot. Cover that with a 3lp pot roast, add an envelope of ranch dressing and Au Jus, 5 pepperoncini peppers, and a stick of butter. Set to low and come back in 8 hours.
Instant Pot French Onion Chicken – Deconstructed French onion soup. Super easy recipe.